Donna Good
Donna Good asked:

Anything by McBride is worth reading. It's a bit like walking down a street, turning a corner, and, there it is, a whole new perspective. Anyone out there now want to read a good biography of John Brown, or can advise me where to find one?

To answer questions about The Good Lord Bird, please sign up.
Kortnei I really enjoyed "Midnight Rising: John Brown and the Raid that sparked the Civil War" by Tony Horwitz.
Andrea John Brown, by W.E.B. Dubois
Jeanne Mixon Another good novelized history is Russell Banks's Cloudsplitter, but I can understand wanting an undiluted historical perspective.
Topper Sherwood In my mind, the best, most innovative book about Brown's work is "Allies for Freedom" by Benjamin Quarles. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
Zena Ryder I also want to find a good biography of John Brown, after reading Cloudsplitter.
Jeb Inge Stephen B. Oates "To Purge this Land With Blood" and "John Brown, Abolitionist" by David Reynolds are both fantastic, and comparatively objective biographies of Brown.
Missy "A Volcano Beneath the Snow - John Brown's War Against Slavery" by Albert Marrin.
Image for The Good Lord Bird
by James McBride (Goodreads Author)