Susan Masid
Susan Masid asked Azar Nafisi:

Ms. Nafisi -- I have read two of your books and have been reading as many Middle Eastern books as possible. My family comes from Syria, and I am working on my mother's story. I admire your books and your courage. Q. what is your approach to your writing; any tricks to discipline yourself, and how long does it take for you to complete a book? Thank you.

Azar Nafisi Dear Susan Masid, thank you for your comments. What do you think of the great Syrian poet, Nizar Qbbani's poems? You know that each writer works very differently. I take a long time to write a book, as long as five years, but it depends on the book too, and on research, your own preoccupations. I like to work in my office, but also wander around the town a great deal, there are places like museums and certain coffee shops I frequent while writing, the fact that I am surrounded by people who don't know me and who won't intervene with my work is somehow very helpful. Also in my favorite museums (and Washington has several great ones) I write in the coffee shop and then go and visit some of my favorite paintings. Images and poetry both help me a great deal....I hope you will have a joyous experience writing....