Rebecca
Rebecca asked:

5th graders in Georgia are reading this book as part of their Common Core ELA curriculum. Any teachers out there who have comments about how to use it or if it is a good choice? Do kids like it? Get it?

To answer questions about Steal Away Home, please sign up.
Joan Broadfield Glad you are asking. I have not yet read it... see concern I carry ... and I will begin to read it. I would look for, and wonder with the kids about what the see about leadership and support for the underground railway. For instance, do they see, understand how enslaved people could be those leaders? When lives are so challenged, what can keep people strong enough to do this kind of work? What did kids of color in the class think of the story? That is where I would pay close attention. If the class is seeing this as an exiting adventure, there needs to be real sensitivity to those in the class whose life histories may include this time. 12 yrs a slave or the recent pbs on reconstruction can provide teachers with the horrific sense of the time. Hope this helps... csn you tell it is important to me?:-)
Image for Steal Away Home