Goodreads asked Elayne Gineve James:

Elayne Gineve James
I take a time out from the book I'm working on / having trouble with, go to iTunes and create a soundtrack for my book as if it were a movie. I focus in on orchestral pieces that embody or support the "feel" of the story arc and add a more modern tune at the beginning and end (ala credit roll song).

This helps to clear my mind--concentrating on something that is not writing but still creative-- and then when I return to the book I have a fresh perspective AND a soundtrack to play while I'm writing that is wonderfully inspiring. It works every time! Try it! You'll be amazed! Envisioning your book as a movie helps in other ways too. Thinking in the visual mode makes for great, concise descriptive passages and snappy/lively dialogue. And, of course, it is a lot of fun!

Envisioning your book as a movie helps in other ways too. Thinking in the visual mode makes for great, concise descriptive passages and snappy/lively dialogue. And, of course, the whole process is just plain fun!