Jennifer
Jennifer asked:

This might seem like a silly question, but would it be possible to read this without having read the previous books about Mags? I had trouble pushing through the early books of the Collegium series, thus never finishing them.

To answer questions about Closer to Home, please sign up.
Hannah I started this before I knew about the previous books and whilst I did enjoy it there was a definite sense that I was missing something having not read about what had happened before.
Sara If you could, at least read the last book in the previous trilogy: Bastion. This book picks up right after the events of that one, and there are some things that come up in this one that could be confusing if you don't know some of what happened in Bastion. It had been a decent amount of time since I read Bastion before I read this one and I had to remind myself what happened in it to make sense of some small bits in this book.

But then I don't recall if you need to read the others before Bastion to help that one make sense, so I don't know if this is helpful info or not! :)
Marina Hi,
I am a big fan of the Valdemar series which this book is a sub-series off. I suggest you read the Valdemar books in order based on were they fall in the story. Mercedes used to have a time line of books since she wrote them out of order. This sub-series is considered by long time fans as the past in the Valdemar series. Misty has written books in the future of Valdemar. I don't suggest starting all the way in the Gryphon books because maybe that is not your thing. Or you can try the Valdemar anthologies to see if you like Misty's world. I hope I am making some sense here, lol.
Eliza It's helpful, for back story, but not at all necessary to read the Collegium Chronicles quintet first. I do have to say, in all fairness, that I am a huge fan so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Image for Closer to Home