Barbara
Barbara asked Azar Nafisi:

I love "Reading Lolita in Tehran" and have pressed copies of it on friends, students and co-workers. You supported the Islamic Revolution in Iran as it was happening, then came to be one of its victims, if you had it to do all over again, would you have been as enthusiastic a supporter (given the corruption of the Shah's regime) would you have given no support, or would you have tried in some way to moderate events?

Azar Nafisi I supported the revolution but not an Islamic revolution. I never trusted Ayatollah Khomeini's attacks on the rights of women and minorities. Had I known then what I know now, I would not have supported a revolution, but change, especially when during the time when the democratic minded Shahpur Bakhtiar who had been an opponent of the Shah, accepted to become the interim prime minister after the Shah had left Iran. I have learnt the hard way that no simply change of regimes but a change of mindsets and creation of a culture of democracy is the most effective road to the creation of a democratic system.