Joan Schleinkofer

So I checked this book out of the library but am afraid to commit to 900+ pages due to some mixed reviews (I'm one of those who feels guilty when I don't finish whatever I start). So I read the first 8 pages and was captivated by the taxi ride alone (love how this guy writes). Looking for feedback - does it get too long and boring? I loved his new novel Colorless Tsukuru, read it in one sitting. Feedback/advice?

To answer questions about 1Q84, please sign up.
Marie Whilst Marakami's style is truly captivating, be aware when starting 1Q84 that is goes much further than "Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage" in terms of postmodernism, which may not be your stuff....
VDoll There are some great passages, psychological truths, observations, sentences and imagery. Pure Murakami magic. I am 450 pages in (halfway) and will acknowledge there are also parts (descriptions/passages) that are far more detailed than necessary and not to my interest. Instead of letting them drag your reading down and making you want to quit the book - just give yourself permission to skim or outright skip various paragraphs and sections that don't appeal to you. This is what I've done and it's kept me going through the book at a steady pace. As the book IS 900+ pages you'll get the story and have plenty enough to read without them. If you love Murakami and can permit yourself these little skips you'll find plenty to enjoy here.
Image for 1Q84