Jane De vries
Jane De vries asked:

Why didn't Eugenie try to destroy her cousin in the end? Did she pay his debts to show him what he missed by not marrying her?

To answer questions about Eugénie Grandet, please sign up.
Moriarty Mayfair No, that's too simple. Eugenie's personality, beliefs and principles are clearly exposed along the whole novel, she could never have that kind of intentions or thoughts, it doesn't go with her heart, she's just too good and too like-her-mother.
Dianne Oliver A pure and simple act of love.
Davis Grubin This, my friend, is what we call a "flex"...
Ludwig Schilling Good question! Because that would have meant contradicting her personality, which Balzac had been narratively establishing throughout the novel. She was "predestined" to act in that way, same as Charles was "destined" to become, in part, ambitious like his father and a miser like Grandet.
Asmaa Sumeya That is something that surprised me too. I didn't see it coming, and wondered why? Was it religion? I understand forgiveness is at the center of Christianity, and maybe this was her way of fully committing to the service of God, and abandoning all worldly desires she might have had, which were mostly expressed through her feelings for Charles.
Aljona I think she also wanted to save her father's name and her as well.
Thiago
Image for Eugénie Grandet