Elias
Elias asked:

I like Sarah Prineas a lot, but aren't we all sick of the endless stream of fairy tale retellings? It took me about six years to get tired of dystopias, it took me a month to get sick of retellings. Robin McKinley is a legend, Gregory Maguire is excellent. But please, everyone else, stop it. Why is there so little YA high fantasy?

To answer questions about Ash & Bramble, please sign up.
Kitten Blue Don't like it, don't read it! I'm sick of dystopians but not retellings so to each their own.
Amelia I could never have enough of fairy tale retellings! But you're right - it would be nice to see some lesser-known stories being adapted.
Tala Too much retelling sucks, but if you want a REALLY good retelling series, I recommend THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyer. For a lesser known retelling (not a fairytale) , read FOR DARKNESS SHOWS THE STARS. (retelling of Jane Austen's book)

The best high-fantasy EVER is SNOW LIKE ASHES by Sara Raasch.

Hope this helps!
Amber (YA Indulgences) The Wizard of Oz isn't a fairytale so you can cross Gregory Maguire off your list. :) And I say bring on the fairytales retellings.
Elias Okay, maybe not. But the YA genre still needs more high fantasy.
Ketutar Jensen Why would people need to stop writing whatever they want to write?
It didn't take me five minutes to get sick of dystopias, but after 40 years I'm still loving fairytales and fantasy, whether retellings or not.
Why there's so little YA high fantasy? Because everyone keeps yapping about how people like Christopher Paolini and Terry Goodkind just steals everything and copy Tolkien and they are SO TIRED of high fantasy...
Write your own.
Jazmin listen have you ever published a book? Probably not. So please don't post negatives until you have written and published a book.
Claudia Soberal I say if you look hard enough there are millions of YA high fantasy. You should try out Chanda Hahn books. She is absolutely amazing with fantasy stories. Try her Iron Butterfly series, that is straight up new fantasy. Maybe then you can read her UnEnchanted series, (which is my favorite book series ever!!!!!), but that is based on other fairytales. It's not a retelling, but it does have a twist and it is more interesting. Plus, later on in the series they announce the spin-off and try to stop it from taking over their lives....it's hard to explain, but you should check it out. Way more epic when you actually read it, I kinda explained it badly.
Stacey Conrad Have you read The Kiss of Deception? It's excellent high fantasy. As is The Winner's Curse.
Image for Ash & Bramble
by Sarah Prineas (Goodreads Author)