Anna Redding
Anna Redding asked:

Hi, I am doing some research on the Pathfinder and was wondering if it was influenced by an earlier novel? Any ideas?

To answer questions about Pathfinder, please sign up.
Dan The robot/computer rulers in Pathfinder are similar to Card's own Oversoul in the Homecoming Saga
Ingrid Geibel What if the Earth had two moons... by Neil F. Comins Ph.D. is not a novel he is a he is a professor of physics at UofMaine. I believe Mr. Card indicated this book influenced his thinking about moons or the lack thereof and how it could effect a planet.

Having just finished this book last night (Pathfinder not What if) I found it very engaging, I loved the character interaction and gradual histories of them. There is a sequel which I will be reading shortly but I have already started a different book. I see some similar themes coming up to his "Pastwatch, the redemption of Christopher Columbus" but as this is a very different setting it really did stand on it's own.

The beginning of each chapter begins with a character named Ram and within a few chapters you begin to understand the correlation between him and the main characters.

I have not read many other novels in this genre Amazon likens it's ending to Robert Silverberg's Lord Valentine's Castle and Roger Zelazny's Nine Princes in Amber but as I have not read those I can not attest to the correctness of this statement.

All in all I really liked this book and will be doing giving a review on it shortly on both Goodreads and Amazon and will definitely be reading the sequels, I just went on Amazon and purchased both.
Michael Drakich In the acknowledgments of my copy, the author gives credit to a novel by Neil F. Comins entitled What If The Earth Had Two Moons? And Nine Other Thought Provoking Speculations On The Solar System.
Image for Pathfinder