Goodreads asked Sunni Jeffers:

Sunni Jeffers Heaven's Strain is a "what if" story. It came from a passage in the Old Testament of the Bible that has fascinated me for a long time. I had to explore the possibilities. It took me into the amazing realm of genetics, and kept opening more and more questions. Then I began meeting the cast of characters that inhabit this story world, and they insisted I tell their story.

Here’s the verse: “And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, that the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.…There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.” Genesis 6:1-4, KJV

What if those sons of God were fallen angels, as legend claims and as some people believe? How would it effect the gene pool? And with today’s advances in the realm of genetics, what possibilities and problems could exist.