drowningmermaid

Does anyone knows about Sebold's decision to leave out the name of her attacker. (It's been a while since I read this, but I think she always referred to him as "my rapist" or something similar.) Has she ever talked about her decision to leave out the name? I guess my real question is: with everything that happened afterwards, what steps is she taking to protect herself from further injury?

To answer questions about Lucky, please sign up.
Austin S FYI the man she accused was recently exonerated after Netflix started looking into the case, since the novel is being made into a movie: https://nypost.com/2021/11/24/40-year...
Lillian Watt His name was in fact Gregory Madison, I was interested myself and came across this website- you should check it out http://articles.chicagotribune.com/19...
Carrie Campbell She calls him by his name once she gets to the point in the story that she knows it (Gregory Madison) -- unless she's using a fake name.
Alana A couple months ago, I read an article about her or an interview with her (I can't remember exactly) in which it was clear that she gave him a pseudonym in the memoir, for obvious reasons. It was also mentioned that he was released from prison after 25 years the previous year of this article/interview, if I'm not mistaken, and that's why, according to her, she didn't reveal details about where she lived then.
drowningmermaid (Not really an answer, just more questions.)

How does leaving his name out protect her? Is she writing under a pseudonym? Are there legal requirements about publishing what might be regarded as "slander"?

I have personal reasons for asking, and I can think of at least two other memoirs where the author left out the assailant's name... but I do wonder about it, as it seems the only person it protects in the perpetrator. Do people assume that the attacker, even if he is a constant re-offender, will not attack someone for writing a book that spells out details of the crime, but WILL attack if the same book names him?
Image for Lucky