Jeff Eddings
Jeff Eddings asked:

Love this series. Hearne has a great sense of humor and kept me on the edge of my seat almost the whole time (parts of it dragged a bit but all ended great). Can anyone recommend books that are similar in this specific genre? Set in modern or near-future times, includes an element of fantasy or sci-fi, funny at times. Other books I've enjoyed thoroughly in this genre are Ready Player One and Off to be the Wizard.

To answer questions about Hounded, please sign up.
David Henson Personally if you haven't read it yet I would recommend the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. The style is similar (in my opinion) and he defiantly puts a fair amount of humor into his work.
Christine Johnson Another good author is Patricia Briggs. Her Mercy Thompson series has a very tongue-in-cheek main character. She deals with fae, werewolves and vampires.
Syd I've been trying to find some myself. I'm a big fan of IDC, the writing and the characters, even the reader, Luke Daniels, is fantastic. Went through the whole IDC series twice before moving on.

I did read Storm Front, by Jim Butcher and enjoyed it, although not quite at the same level.

The Alex Verus series, I think it starts with Fated, i enjoyed more than Dresden; ironically it's a similar story. In the first book there were a few lines that seriously had me cracking up. Maybe take a look?
Torben Opperud American Gods and Anansi Boys might be a good choice. I have not read the Peter Grant books by Ben Aaronovitch but you should take a look at them anyway.
Kate The kate daniel series and the Cal Leandros series is also a pretty good read :)
Brad Try "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.
Aaron Smith I really enjoyed the Necromancer series by M R Forbes if that helps
Michael The House of Night series by the Casts, mother and daughter. A school for vampires in Tulsa, OK. Young adult fare but I found it really interesting and I'm an old fart. So too, the Hollows series by Kim Harrison.
Memet Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore. I second the Ben Aaronovitch rec-- similarly light in tone, urban mystery, set in London, UK.
Amy what about kim harrison's hollows series? some of those are quite good. (witches, vampires, werewolves, demons, etc.)
Kody Demon Accords by John Conroe. Audiobook is amazing.
Iris Try Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch, first book in the Peter Grant series. The humor leans more British than American, though. I also thoroughly enjoyed the Nightside series by Simon Green, set in an alternate, gritty London with oddities and advanced tech, and the main character is a private investigator with a third eye.

Finally, though straight Fantasy, Steven Brust's Jhereg series has the same vein of humor as the Hearne and Butcher series, so definitely worth checking out (there's some debate about reading in chronological or in publication order, and I recommend chronological)
Michael Snively Monster Hunter International
Jason Try R S Belcher - Nightwise & Brotherhood of the wheel series.

Laytham Ballard is a legend
Andy I LOVED the Jim Butcher series Codex of Alera... i havent personally read the Dresden Files by him but have learned that they are supposed to be great as well
The i have to agree with david henson dresden files is a good choice for a book series like the iron druid series the humor is very sarcastic which i like and at some point i laugh like a crazy person at a very humorous part the series is i think the best urban supernatural series I've read so far
Giles Linnear I'd also recommend Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim series, and the modern-day comedies of Christopher Moore.
Aurora Have you read anything by Brandon Sanderson? I'm specifically thinking his Reckoners or Legion series, though I suppose those are sort of in the superhero genre (...ish)
Jeff Eddings Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

@David Henson: I tried the Dresden Files, but just couldn't get into it. Not sure why, it is the kind of thing that would be up my alley, but I could never engage.

@Katelyn: Cal Leandros series looks great! It's on my wish list on Audible.

@Christine Johnson: I tend to like male lead characters, and this one sounds like it might be a little to female. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Image for Hounded
by Kevin Hearne (Goodreads Author)