Christopher R. Hill

I would like to ask a question. What was your favorite part of the book, "Outpost: Life on the Frontlines of American Diplomacy?" Thank you so much for taking the time.

David Hello Ambassador Hill! I was really excited to find this book, even if it maybe was for selfish reasons. I was in Peace Corps Macedonia from '97-'99. The times you came and briefed us on Serbia and Kosovo made a deep impression on me. For that, the parts of the book dealing with your development under Holbrook and then later your negotiations with Milosevic and Rugova made my blood rush through their veins. I also was knocked out by the matter of fact and objective differences you shared between President Clinton and his successor. I felt like I was there.

One of the most poignant little episodes in the book that I have to mention is how Kiro Gligorov asked if he could have you in Skopje. Totally Macedonian!

I would love to read an entire book about your own Peace Corps experience and wish there'd been more on that in this book. What there was really struck me as the blueprint for understanding and respecting your international counterparts so that you could work to find solutions to crises. To this day, whenever I meet with other "Mak II" RPCVs, we bring up your name and nod our heads saying, "yep, he was the real deal." And that's before we break out the rakija!

I could say more, but knowing what I know of your manner--self-effacing and modest--I ought to stop there. Thanks for everything!

PS: The memories of you bringing the Thanksgiving turkey during our ISTs are cherished.
Wesley I like a story, and this book told a good one. If by 'part' you mean a given section of the book, then those chapters covering the diplomatic efforts in and around the former Yugoslavia. That section portrayed the forces at play, both intricate and blunt, in such a way that I could actually 'feel' the currents they induced and found myself rooting for someone or some effort in spite of the fact that I knew the ultimate outcome.

'Part' for me though is different than that; My favorite part of the this book is the way in which meaning is found and expressed in a wide variety of scopes, spanning stories of individuals, families, towns, cities, countries, regions, etc... . Reading this re-impressed upon me the 'connected-ness of it all'. It made me ask questions...and I like questions, as they are so very much more interesting than answers.
Kevin I truly enjoyed the whole thing, but I was only a small child when the Balkan Crises happened and you gave me a far better understanding of that time.
Image for Outpost
by Christopher R. Hill (Goodreads Author)