Ronald Geigle
Ronald Geigle asked:

How do you interpret McMurtry's comment at the beginning of the book, "I had the great director John Ford in mind when I wrote the book; he famously said that when you had to choose between history and legend, print the legend...."

To answer questions about The Last Kind Words Saloon, please sign up.
Sean As a writer with a few screen plays under his belt, I wonder why he attributed the quote to John Ford. James Warner Bellah, Willis Goldbeck or Dorothy M. Johnson would have been responsible for that wonderful line in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Vanance".

Anyway, I think it's short hand for "None of what you are about to read is true".
Betsy he let his mind wander about some Western legends who are included in the book, not worrying about whether his interpretations had historical backing
Image for The Last Kind Words Saloon