Bonnie
Bonnie asked Jeff Shear:

I'm intrigued by your main character, Jackson Guild. He's a smart guy who seems to get in a lot of trouble. What is your process for developing a character like this?

Jeff Shear Hi Bonnie, thanks for writing. This book started out as a non-fiction investigation into the workings of a Wall Street warlord. I was disabused of the idea that I could finish the work in a single lifetime. :-) So I turned to fiction. The plan was for a group of fictitious Congressional aides and public information officers (PIO), who met regularly for drinks on Capitol Hill, to follow his money trail. But the number of characters became awkward, hard to herd. Because the amounts of money involved in the Warlords story was large enough to influence foreign policy, I focused on the PIO for Senate Foreign Relations. I named him Jackson Guild after a late friend. To give him depth, I created a backstory of his early career as a reporter, where he witnessed -- and possibly participated in -- the ambush and murder of British artillery spotters. The guilt and PTSD from the event destroyed his life and left him a functioning alcoholic. It did not erase his inborn impetus to root out evil. And that's how I came up with Jackson. I'm glad you asked. It may me think.