Goodreads asked Jane Peranteau:

Jane Peranteau The idea snuck up on me. I sat down to write what I thought was a short story, and after a little while I realized it was the intro to a book. Even later I realized that everything I had been writing in my creative writing class was a part of the book. I think people in my class knew it before I did. They treated my stories as a series and wanted to know what would happen next.
I think the main thing is that I trusted the feeling I got that I was building something bigger and that it would come.
And now I can see traces of the idea everywhere--it has roots in my past (growing up in that ghost-infested house!), in my interests (which have always been in things spiritual), in experiences that stand out for me (the Native American Church peyote ceremony), and in the people I've known (psychics, energy workers, etc.)--all while I was living and working a fairly standard life.
Mainly, I just kept trusting.