Sandy
Sandy asked:

What is it about this book that makes it significantly different from other female-authored memoirs and random thoughts? Thanks. Sandy Pirwitz

Elizabeth Charlton Every "female-authored" memoir is just as different from other books by women as every male-authored book is different from that of other males, and it is reductive to call personal essays "random thoughts."
Austin Storm We are living in the golden age of the personal essay. Many authors, including a great number of talented female authors, are writing essays that attempt to connect unflinching personal revelation with broader ideas and experiences.

Daum says in the introduction, "The book recounts some pretty unflattering behavior on my part, not to mention a few disclosures about my interior life that some readers will probably find depressing or even alarming. That is fine. I wouldn't have it any other way. In fact, I suspect this is the kind of book that winds up being loved and hated in equal measure."

And yet, I found her gory self-disclosures so artfully done that I couldn't imagine someone being put off by them. Certainly not if you've read Lena Dunham or Miranda July, who's most recent books I had a very hard time getting through. There's a difference between frankness, which is hard enough to achieve, and a level of self-knowledge that allows you to translate that frankness into widely comprehensible emotional honesty.
Lada Daum says in the intro that she intentionally selects topics for the essays that are provocative yet autobiographical. Because of this the content is more unusual.
Image for The Unspeakable