Clair
Clair asked:

is the book appropriate for kids?

Tesla2point0 I am 11 years old and i read this book. There is one part that is a bit inapproprite when the village is invaded, but i dealt with it and i am fine. If another child that read this can deal with it, then go for it.
Chelsey Payne Yes. This is a love story between a boy and his elephant. Definitely appropriate for all ages!
Steph I know this is an old question, but for anyone else wondering -- I say it's not appropriate for sensitive kids under 13. Although this is easy to read and a sweet love story between a boy and his elephant spanning their lifetimes, there are several traumatizing scenes.
Susan There is a prolonged part about some men wanting to rape the main characters wife and they do molest her. Am I the only person who read that part?
HeavyReader There is some romance, but nothing graphic. In the one "sex scene" I've read so far, the older adolescents are described as being "romantically intimate," but there are no graphic descriptions. Later in the book (I haven't finished reading it yet) the main character and his lady love are wrestling, and the narrator says she "feels his hardness," or something like that. Again, nothing graphic, but a kid might have some questions about that. Or maybe not. If I had read this book as a kid, I would not have asked my mom to explain any of that kind of stuff!
Image for Modoc