Ron
Ron asked:

Can anyone suggest any western novels, like Parker's ,with characters like Cole and Hitch ?

To answer questions about Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse, please sign up.
Mark Wesling Lonesome Dove by MacMurtrey
Cat Steven Hockensmith has a series of westerns with brothers, Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer who read Sherlock Holmes and solve crimes in the west. I listened to them on tape read by William Dufris, delightful as well. The first in the series is Holmes on the Range.
Gerald Hickman My thought on this question is to agree about Joe Pickett and author CJ Box. However there is a similar set of characters (Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn) in the Tony Hillerman series with the Navajo Tribal Police set in Arizona and New Mexico. I would rank all three of this series to be excellent reading.
Image for Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse