Jess Lehman
Jess Lehman asked:

I would like to hear from any parents with special needs kids or any special ed teachers on what they thought of this book. Anyone?

To answer questions about Girls Like Us, please sign up.
Bijou Speaking as someone who is herself disabled, I think that it's a very good book, particularly for being written by an abled person. I always cringe when I see books about "special needs" individuals (such as myself) written by people who misunderstand us and perpetuate stereotypes about us. Usually I don't even bother reading them, to be honest, but I am fairly glad I picked up this one. It does play into stereotypes quite a lot, but spends a lot of time trying to break them as well. I will warn you that it is quite rough in places and I would not recommend it for any children below high-school age. It is reasonably sensitive and well-written, though, and overall I do recommend it.
Taryn I would like people to stop asking parents of disabled people to speak for disabled people. Thanks! :) (I am also disabled, and it's not nice to be spoken for or forgotten about.)
Image for Girls Like Us
by Gail Giles (Goodreads Author)