Elise Reeder
Elise Reeder asked:

Has anyone read The Dinner? I'm thinking about comparisons between The Dinner and The Burgess Boys. Thoughts?

To answer questions about The Burgess Boys, please sign up.
Sara I don't think there is a comparison. I found The Dinner to be a vile, tricky, and quite pointless book. I'm not even talking about the subject matter, as I suspect the author means it to be some sort of satire or social commentary, when it is merely sensational crapola. The Burgess Boys, for me, is a thoughtful, fully realized novel about fully developed characters.
Cora I have read The Dinner by Herman Koch but didn't even think about comparing the two. Interesting idea. I thought they were very different but mostly because Burgess Boys is more of a story while The Dinner was more of a story through conversation. What comparisons are you thinking about?
Image for The Burgess Boys
by Elizabeth Strout (Goodreads Author)