Dudes! Whats with Christianity and Chronicles of Narnia?!!! Spare it will you?!

To answer questions about The Last Battle, please sign up.
Rebecca The solution is simple: if you don't like it, don't read it.
Gregory Olson If you're annoyed by the Christian aspects of the Chronicles of Narnia, you thoroughly misunderstand the books. They aren't written from a secular worldview--you might as well be annoyed with the Jewish aspects of Genesis.

Even if you aren't Christian, an inability to see the world from any point of view other than your own is the definition of bigotry--just saying.
Wendy Bird Lewis is a Christian. He wrote several commentaries on Christianity. I like it that he gave the demons a voice in The Screwtape Letters. Also in The Last Battle, my favorite part was the enemy soldier who loved his God Satan (Taj) so much that he was the onlye one brave enough to go into the hut to see him. Of course the fakes were in there, but the real Tash appears and scares them out. Nothing like a visit from Satan to get your blood going.
A couple of interesting and rather non-mainstream Christian concepts come up at the end of the book. Aslan is asked if God and Satan are the same. He grumbled about the answer, but doesn't really answer it clearly. Wonder if Lewis was a part time kabblalist or that he just *sensed something*. The second thing is that Aslan intimates that all evil done in the name of Satan, God counts as good done in his name. Interesting, no?
Joleen I agree with all the answers. Faith issues cannot be separated from any of Lewis's books because it’s from the depth of his faith that he wrote....his way of sharing the love and peace he received as a result of the saving work of Christ in his life.
Kelli Hey genius, that's the point. It's Christian fiction.
Htinez Ojenra it's really just what it's about :)
Brenda To read these books outside of their intended meaning would be like reading Shakespeare without understanding his timeless themes. It's certainly possible, but you won't grasp the point of the books. This is what makes C.S. Lewis an amazing writer. His books have a deeper meaning than the first glance provides. I would be a shame not to dig deeper.
Gil-or (readingbooksinisrael) Narnia is pretty clearly told as a parallel to some parts of Christianity.
Eric As an atheist myself, I don't understand why the fact that CS Lewis was heavily influenced by Christianity in his writing would detract from the enjoyment of his tales of Narnia. The Chronicles of Narnia is one of the great fantasy master works. Even though there are obvious correlations with Christian teachings, at no time does CS Lewis try to use his writing to actively influence the readers to believe one way or the other.

It is important to keep in mind that being an atheist does not mean to be anti-religion, just that one has made a personal decision about what to believe or not.
Todd Honig I'm a Jewish guy who read all these books as a kid (and again as an old man) and honestly the Christian theology all went right over my head back then because it wasn't part of my religious education. He borrows a lot from mythology and fairy tales too. I think these books are fine for general audiences. If you're a little kid who isn't Christian you're not going to get that Aslan is the Christ figure of the story. If you are, you will.
Lawrence Hall You might as well ask people to remove Judaism from the Haggadah.
Elizabeth Dragina C. S. Lewis wrote this series as a way to teach people about the Lord in a fantasy way! I enjoyed this series a whole lot!! I am also a Christian! If you don't like Christianity then I would say this isn't a good series for you!
Taylor Husak Just gonna throw out there, that all it takes is a quick google search to know this series is an allegory for the Bible.
Chris What do you mean "what's with it?" It's a Christian fantasy series. Everyone knows that.
Daniel To be fair, it was written as a kind of advertising aimed at young minds to get them deeply entrenched into Christianity without them realizing it. It's hardly an accident.
Maria Tag These books are christian. It's totally obvious.
Rafael Elias He was born in a hard time. Back when he was alive, all that people could do was believe that their life wouldn't be in vain, that they would have another chance.

This is my point of view as an atheist.

(Sorry I wrote something wrong, english is only my third language).
Rich C.S. Lewis was one of the greatest and most influential Christian apologists of the 20th century. He wrote several wonderful non-fiction books on Christianity. As others have said here, to separate C.S. Lewis from Christianity is impossible. These books were written for children, but his adult books are also powerful explorations of Christianity and its messages. One of my favorite is Till We Have Faces. There is his space trilogy--Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength, where he doe borrow a few ideas from his friend, J.R.R. Tolkien.
Isa A lot of artists, whether intentionally or unintentionally, end up putting themselves and their personal beliefs into their works. C. S. Lewis was a devout Christian, and a firm believer in Christ. I was actually told once that Lewis never INTENDED to make The Chronicles of Narnia related to Christianity (at least, when he was just starting the series), and that it just ended up slipping in on its own. But whether he intended to include it or not, the truth of the matter is that The Chronicles of Narnia simply is not the Chronicles of Narnia without Christianity. And when he did intend it (which I am sure he meant to later on, at least), he HIMSELF said, And in Lewis's own words, "I thought I saw how stories of this kind could steal past a certain inhibition which had paralysed much of my own religion in childhood… supposing that by casting all these things into an imaginary world, stripping them of their stained-glass and Sunday School associations, one could make them for the first time appear in their real potency? Could one not thus steal past those watchful dragons? I thought one could."

I actually saw a really funny post related to this once, with the author trying to eliminate anything and everything related to Christianity in the Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Enjoy: https://www.thelionscall.com/humor/na...

and my friends also discuss this ourselves here: https://bookwormsandbluestockings.wor...
Image for The Last Battle