Carol
Carol asked Robert Gioia:

Was there a specific incident that led you to write The Bully Barn?

Robert Gioia No, not specifically Carol. I like many children had a nemesis while growing up (the infamous "Billy" who haunted my early elementary school days). He was your typical physical/verbal bully and I can still remember the feeling of him chasing me home and not wanting to go our because in my mind he was always " waiting for me". I also remember the day/feeling when I grew bigger than him and stood up for myself.
But things are so much more complicated these days due largely in part to the internet and our violent subculture. The internet makes it easy and bullying is subsequently much more prevalent especially with regard to the social/emotional aspect. Bullying and violence is a systemic issue and I truly feel for children growing up now. During my tenure as a school liaison officer I came to realize that there was a great deal of misunderstanding with regards to bullying. Society has become hypersensitive to the mere mention of the word and as a result it is misused in many instances.
The Bully Barn was an opportunity for me to educate and help with this problem. It my small contribution to a larger multifaceted approach to bullying.