Goodreads asked Angela Doll Carlson:

Angela Doll Carlson I've been pitching books to publishers for the better part of 10 years and got cold responses every time. Once, though, an editor told me, "You're a great writer and you have something to say here." It wasn't right for them but the response bolstered me to keep at it. When I began my conversion to Eastern Orthodoxy no one was more surprised than I was, so I had to write it down, journal-like and in public. I started the blog, Nearly Orthodox and I whined for a few years a a catechumen. I thought that perhaps it *might* be a book but I wasn't really sure.

As I got further down the road I remarked off hand to a friend who happened to be an editor at a press I liked a whole lot that I was having a lot of conversations with priests. She said, "I'd love to be a fly on the wall for those meetings!" and I thought that maybe other people might as well. By then I was already "in" so to speak with Eastern Orthodoxy so I wrote the proposal and that's the book that a publisher finally smiled upon.

It wasn't until I really waded into the grass on the manuscript, though, that I realized how powerful the process of conversion had been and in turn how powerful the process of writing my life had impacted me. Writing the book was like therapy and reconciliation and deep sea diving all at once.