Marcie
Marcie asked:

If this wasn't supposed to be a murder mystery, what was up with the red herrings such as the mysteriously appearing Stetson hat and Harriet's sister's amnesia? Why all the plot lines that began and then were just dropped?

To answer questions about The Little Friend, please sign up.
Nóinín
Thomas Okay if I hear one more 'it's real life' excuse I will scream. I live real life I don't need to read it. Ambiguous endings can be interesting but their need a to be an established set of possibilities. If there had been hints to the real killer so we could work it out great but it seemed with this book we were just told well who did it doesn't matter. The opening suggests a murder mystery of a kind not even trying to resolve it is pretentious
Cecile Perez It's not meant to be a thriller, it's all about memory,the past,the re creation of the past and the vivid imagination of a twelve year old.
I loved the open ending.
Sarah Rigg If you don't like that the mystery is unsolved in this book, DON'T read "In the Woods" by Tana French, either, because there's a mystery that kicks off the Dublin Detective Squad series that is never solved, either.

The fact that the mystery is still unsolved by the end of the book ties into the theme of the novel as a whole: how having a violent, unresolved death can tear a family apart for decades, especially the children when they're left without adult supervision.

To me, the satisfying conclusion comes toward the end when ****SPOILER ALERT**** Harriet hears that Danny Ratcliff was actually Robin's "little friend." It turns the whole meaning of the title around.

Personally, I didn't care that the mystery wasn't solved. If librarians are shelving this as mystery or book shops are marketing it as such, that's a problem with marketing, not with Tartt's novel.
Maiju Vuori This!! I really liked the book (the atmosphere etc.), but the fact that we did not get to know the anwers to these mysteries... frustrating!
Meg
Theresa
Tracey Hall
Image for The Little Friend