Stephanie Lingenfelter

Which is the best Jane Austen book, in your opinion?

To answer questions about Sense and Sensibility, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) My personal favourite is Mansfield Park. It's unfortunate that to date there is no satisfactory adaptation of it; there's a film made by a director who never actually read the book (!!) and a couple of miniseries. I can not understand why Lady Bertram is always depicted on TV as either simpleminded or an opium addict. Are there no longer wealthy, idle women in Britain who delegate anything they don't want to be bothered with (including raising their own children) onto someone else? Because there certainly are where I live!!

Austen deals with quite a few hefty subjects in MP--slavery, infidelity, dysfunctional families, and the farming-out of unwanted girl children to wealthier relatives (where they end up acting as unpaid companion/servants). Everybody salivates over Pride and Prejudice, but for sheer depth and breadth, Mansfield Park wins every time.
Alice Pride and Prejudice. It's, in UK, the second most loved book according to surveys.
Image for Sense and Sensibility