Christine
Christine asked:

Football. Enough said. I don't think I made it through two whole chapters. VERY disappointing, as Emily Giffin is one of my favourite authors, but I'm just unable to pretend to be interested in sports, especially football, and even worse...COLLEGE football.

To answer questions about The One and Only, please sign up.
Lisa Cseresznye You don't have to be interested in sports to enjoy this book. It's about family, friendship, love, loss, relationships, loyalty, life lessons. It's not "about" football. It's told within the context of a college football environment, it's not a sports story.
Kunal I agree! This book was horrid. There are many books which delve into sports but don't make it the centre of the plot. This book did just that. It almost felt like a desperate plea by the author to get people to appreciate the sport. It was far too detailed to NOT be about sports. The book bored me to death...and then I just tossed it aside....
Whitney Rutledge You should have read it a little longer. I don't like football much and was still very interested in the book. I was crying at the end! It was awesome.
Sheryl Sorrentino I'm worried about the same thing! I just started reading this, and am trying to keep an open mind. But I'm giving myself permission to abandon the effort if the football is plays too prominent a role in the story.

I need go no further than my own living room (hubby in front of TV) to be bombarded with the unwanted sights and sounds of football. I don't need to willingly take it in another heavy dose in the form of a novel.
Maria I think my love for football is what kept me interested in the book! But if you had kept reading, you'd find that some of the characters had similar distaste for football, which you may have been able to empathize with. Alas, your loss in the end. It was a love story about two unlikely people who fall in love.
Elena agreed - disappointed by the amount of football talk in this novel... but - since this is a "QUESTIONS" section - did you have an actual question!?
Image for The One and Only
by Emily Giffin (Goodreads Author)