Alpa
Alpa asked:

whats going on in this story?

To answer questions about The Screaming Staircase, please sign up.
Leeann It was SOOO good! The ISBN 978-1-4231-8692-2 version has a glossary in the back of all of the ghostly terms. That might help with comprehension a little bit. I, for one, was having trouble picturing the "ghost lights." I can picture them well now, but I wish there was a little better explanation of them.
Hope This book is set in futuristic London 50 years into what the characters call "The Problem". The Problem is the appearance of harmful ghosts at night. Only children can hear and see the ghosts and they loose their abilities as they get older.
Different agencies were set up to take care of the ghosts by hunting down and getting rid of their sources.
The Screaming Staircase is told from Lucy's point of view and follows her agency called Lockwood and Co through a particularly terrifying case. It's very creepy and very well written.
Image for The Screaming Staircase
by Jonathan Stroud (Goodreads Author)