Goodreads asked Justin Sloan:

Justin Sloan For the potential Indie author:

Being an Indie author can be a thrill, but it is also a lot of work. Now that I am about to have my fourth novel published (plus a couple of spin-off short stories and some non-fiction), I am looking at an agent for my next novel (it’s being considered right now, so we’ll see!). But I love the idea of
having my own books out there than I can market how I want, or publish sequels to in a timely manner (some publishers say they take as much as three years for your book to hit the shelves from the moment they pick it up).

My advice is to look at the publishing market with open eyes, and don’t dismiss the Indie route. But also think about what you’re willing to put into it. Are you willing to invest the money to hire an editor? How about a cover artist? What are you going to do to promote your book? I have talked to
way too many Indie authors who have horrible looking covers and sell one or two copies a year, because they don’t make the commitment needed. Analyze yourself and, if you are ready, make the commitment. Otherwise keep on submitting and wait patiently (but write in the meantime).