Amy Macpherson

Loved the book, but I have to wonder... why do the characters speak in such an antiquated way?

To answer questions about Piranesi, please sign up.
Kumari de Silva When I first started reading I was trying to figure out if the narrator was even human, as in: maybe he's a minotaur living in a labyrinth? Or maybe this is speculative fiction taking place on another planet? Then the Other shows up and the Other speaks in more modern cadence. I think the stilted 19th century speech of the narrator is an effect the House is having on him. I imagine this house looking similar to the etchings and drawings of the more famous Piranesi. The new style of speech is all part of Piranesi being no longer matthew rose sorensen.
Ivan Monckton To keep you guessing as to what’s going on. I thought the narrator might be God for some time..
Naomi I had the same reaction! Why capitalize all the nouns, making the first person narrative read like it's from the 18th century? My only guess is that it is to match the neoclassical architecture and statuary of the House, for atmospheric effect.
Image for Piranesi