Joshua D.
Joshua D. asked:

Is there anyone here, who was disappointed by "Uprooted", but has read this, and has been very pleased? "Uprooted LOOKED like something I would enjoy. I rarely ever DNF a book, but that was one I did. I just was really surprised and disappointed. This, once again--if not even more such, seems to be very interesting, and different from her prior books. I know Novik has many fans, just curious as to general thoughts

To answer questions about A Deadly Education, please sign up.
Emily Yes, I didn’t end up enjoying Uprooted because I hated the pacing of it, especially in the second half when it just became a whirlwind of action with no time to let the readers or the characters react to what was happening. In this one, there was still heavy world-building in the first half and a lot of action in the second half, but it felt more balanced, with good character development seeded throughout the novel.
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship I bounced off Uprooted after the first 50 pages, but then wound up loving both Spinning Silver and this book. Also enjoyed His Majesty's Dragon but was definitely not there for its many travelogue sequels. Her books are pretty different from each other, I think this is absolutely worth a try if it sounds like something that might appeal to you!
Alicia Josh, I came to ask this exact question. I also had to DNF Uprooted about 75% in. However, I didn't read it until after I picked Deadly Education as my BOTM.

Have you read this one yet? What did you think?
Image for A Deadly Education
by Naomi Novik (Goodreads Author)