Annie Green
Annie Green asked Clair Susann Evans:

I've been reading The Soul Conductor as you've been writing it, and I love the darned thing. But I keep meaning to ask you where the idea for it came from and how long you've had it in your head.? Some people say they've carried a story for a life time. Is that the case? Also How did you come up with the main characters name? I think I'm in love with him. Annie x

Clair Susann Evans Hi Annie, it's a good thing you have been reading TSC all through the writing process, or it might never have been finished!
I came up with the idea while studying A215 (what a long time ago that seems to be, now!). I just had this idea of a kind of middle ground between death and Heaven/Hell, and so the Conductors were 'born'. But mostly I wanted to write about a flawed hero - someone who was essentially a good person but was forced into doing something bad. There was also a question in my mind as I thought about my main character - can killing ever be justified?
As for his name, I came up with it while watching Dexter - I loved the character Joey Quinn, so I just stole his name! I find names very difficult to come up with, so some are stolen (like Aliena), some are just made up entirely (like Erelas).
Long may your relationship with him continue!