Lorraine Carey
Lorraine Carey asked B.J. Mears:

Where do you get your ideas from for your novels? What inspired you to write the Tyler May Series?

B.J. Mears Thanks, Lorraine.

I generally get too many ideas to use them all, but mostly they come from reading up on areas of personal interest such as archaeology, history, real life mysteries, crime and intriguing places, and from visiting these places and, I admit, from TV documentaries. I do draw inspiration for my characters from people I know or have met along the way but I use character aspects rather than caricaturing entire personalities.

That said, the concept of the Tyler May series was sparked by a conversation I had with my eldest daughter who'd just completed a popular fantasy series and I wanted to suggest other series/books that she might enjoy.
She was in that place of being sad that a series she loved had come to an end and I wanted to give her something good to help maintain her interest in reading. I was trying to bring to mind books I'd read that fitted certain criteria and as a by-product of that process the first few pages of 'The Haunting of Tyler May' surfaced.
I began writing not knowing where the whole thing was going or if it would even go anywhere, but two months later the first draft was complete and I was hooked. I'm now a little concerned about how I'll feel when the Tyler May series comes to an end. I'm going to miss these three girls!