Jimmy Bramlett

To answer questions about Never Let Me Go, please sign up.
Nevada Great question. There's no specified order (or many specifics for that matter) but Tommy does discuss the possibility he might not really complete which leads to another of Ruth's internal discussions. "How maybe after the fourth donation, even if you've technically completed, you're still conscious in some sort of way; how then you find there are more donations, plenty of them, on the other side of that line; how there are no more recovery centres, no carers, no friends; how there's nothing to do except watch your remaining donations until they switch you off." Which makes perfect horrifying sense because why would they let all those organs go to waste after they bred you in the first place?
Emily Moorcroft
Patrick O'Connor I wondered if the fourth donation was indeed a final harvesting of all useable organs and tissue which achieves completion.
Rachel They didn't go into detail, but here is my educated guess:

I think the first and second donations would be some combination of one kidney, all or part of one lung, and part of the liver as you can live fairly normally missing some lung, kidney, and liver tissue as long as there's enough of the respective organs remaining

They didn't describe a change in the physical appearance of characters after the third donation and they seemed to be able to see, so I don't think they harvested any parts of the eyes until the fourth. I don't think they take the second kidney until the fourth donation because one of the characters mentions trouble with the kidneys after the third donation and no one seems to be on dialysis.

The third would probably be another part of a lung or another part of the liver and the fourth is probably the rest of the organs.

They may also take part of the pancreas on the second donation or third, and could potentially take all the pancreas on the third. You CAN live without your pancreas, but because your pancreas is responsible for making insulin, having your pancreas removed makes you diabetic. Because diabetes can cause damage to your other organs over time, I would think that they would avoid taking the whole thing until close to the end.
Mark Johansen I don't recall that ever being spelled out in the book. There are certainly a number of "donations" a person could make and survive: a kidney, a lung, one or both eyes, bone marrow, fingers and toes or whole limbs, etc. People have had operations where part of their liver or part of their intestines were removed, but not the whole thing and the rest was able to function. I don't know if there's ever been a transplant of such a partial organ, as opposed to removing a portion because it was diseased, but I'd think it would be possible, at least given sufficiently advanced medical techniques.
Jim Gall
Lori I wanted to ask this question as well and there does not seem to be a satisfactory answer. I don't see how it is possible to live after more than one organ donation.
Normandy You would not want to remove the heart first or clone would die.
Image for Never Let Me Go
by Kazuo Ishiguro (Goodreads Author)