Betsy Woodman
Betsy Woodman asked:

I kind of goofed--I was half-way through listening to MaddAddam before I learned that it was the third book in a trilogy. So now I'm thinking I should go back and read numbers 1 and 2 before going on. Any thoughts?

To answer questions about MaddAddam, please sign up.
Leslie Fisher I found that with the first book, I wasn't sure how I felt about the series, but in the end, I was glad I read it. I think it made me enjoy the following 2 books even more. I enjoyed seeing different sides of the same situation and looking for correlations between the books.
Cecily It depends how much you liked this. I think it was by far the weakest of the three (the other two were excellent) and adds little to them. However, if you enjoyed this, I daresay you'll like two other angles on the same story.

The narrative structure and style is different: Oryx &Crake alternates between two timelines (surviving in the "present" post-Chaos world versus events leading up to the "waterless flood") and Year of the Flood has conventional passages interspersed with short but regular quasi-religious ones. MaddAddam combines both.
stellajames Don't worry about the order you read them in. They were written out of order.
RG I would recommend going back and reading the first two before proceeding with the third. The third wraps up the trilogy and provides some explanation for some of what happened in the first two. There is also a lot of context that would be quite hard to understand if you are just jumping into the third book straight away.
Judy Lindow I thought the order was important for the trilogy. I liked the first the best. The third book sort of wraps it up and winds us down as the characters start moving into their brave new world (or mildly revised same old same old version).
Linda Biasotto You will need to read the previous two novels. You may get lost in terms, otherwise.
This trilogy is not my favourite of Atwood's works, however.
Mike Me too! I listened to it on CD. There was nothing on the packaging or in the recording that indicated it was part of a trilogy. It was still satisfying, but I had to work too hard to understand the context.
NdG ooopps...this is the third book??? I just finished it.
Nick I almost did the same thing. I picked up the last book thinking it was the first and just realized before starting to read it.
Brett I agree with Cecily this was the weakest of the three; in fact it was MaddAddam that really made me think Margaret was simply writing this to make money, that the story could have been told in far less than a trilogy (but you can sell a trilogy for $100, at least hardcover, right off the presses). There are political reasons for the entire set of course, and it is a good marketing decision to exploit the fear already created by the billions of dollars in propaganda done by the UNIPCC, with a good dose of anti-corporate ideology thrown in. But the third book added little to the story and I believe these could much better have been one novel if Margaret and her editors had been honest.
Image for MaddAddam
by Margaret Atwood (Goodreads Author)