i would like to read this as a not too serious but hopefully still entertaining preparation for my upcoming excursion to chichen itza, mexico. how much of this novel is actually playing at these world famous maya-sites? i know this is probably pulp fiction in it's purest form and probably not too well researched but i am very interested in your opinions...

To answer questions about The Mayan Secrets, please sign up.
Paul Cookson The thing about Clive Cussler is that he does his research. His books have a real historic event/person/culture as the basis for a modern day boys own adventure. The initial set up is the only part of the book that is set in ancient Mayan times and after that it is pure fiction. I'd highly recommend this book (and all his other books) from an adventure point of view, not historic fact finding.work of literary genius
Pixie It's a great action-packed and very fictional story but it could give you some insights into the historical background and Spanish influences in the Mayan culture and general Central American area; plus pick up a few spanish words and some idea of village life and economy in outlying areas (which sounded quite realistic!).
Leonide Martin This is an old question, but I'd still like to add my comments as someone knowledgeable about Mayan civilization. The action is in Guatemala at fictitious sites. Has nothing to do with Chichen Itza. It's definitely pulp fiction and not very engaging, predictable plot and cardboard characters. This is the first Clive Cussler book I've read, and looking over reviews, appears to be one of his worst. Seems his earlier action-adventures, written by him alone, are better.
Image for The Mayan Secrets