Andree
Andree asked:

I have not had the pleasure of playing the game...so will i miss out on something? or should i get along okay with the novels?

To answer questions about Revan, please sign up.
Keith Objectively (and not as the Star Wars fan that I am and have been since 1977), the writer is absolutely dependent upon you having some familiarity with the characters and the backstory. Yes. You can follow the story in that it is sort of a stand-alone, but Karpyshyn is lazy when it comes to details in this novel. Very lazy.
Ville Kokko This question is old, but for future readers: I haven't read this, but the problem I see is that this is probably one of the million places that will spoil the best surprise in the game Knights of the Old Republic (not the MMORPG Star Wars: The Old republic). Of course, you don't have to play the game at all, but it really is awesome, and even better without the spoilers.
Chad Bearden I haven't played the games, and felt that the book mostly holds up on its own. I wasn't confused by anything, but since so much characterization and history come from the games, there is a very disjointed feeling to the novel, particularly the first half, where Karpyshyn endows several situations with a lot of tension and importance he never really earns, banking on you knowing a bunch of stuff from the games.

His second Old Republic novel, "Annihilation", is much better, in my opinion, and holds up much better as a self-contained story, despite also utilizing characters and relationships from pre-existing source material.
Revan You shouldn't miss out on anything, although if you've played Knights of the Old Republic and The Old Republic it makes it just a little easier to read.
Joseph Play. The. Game(s).
Justin this book is absolutely awesome, and if you have played the knights of the old republic games then you will enjoy it even more.
Image for Revan
by Drew Karpyshyn (Goodreads Author)