Janice
Janice asked:

Did you like the ending? I felt it left me hanging. Will her brother ultimately kill Cal and Frida and their son?

To answer questions about California, please sign up.
Anne
Franz Gorman The ending was horrid. Once the book opened up to the world of Pines, and the return of Toni, it was a significant other book or other section with many, many areas to explore, not the least of which being the act that Cal and Toni are now working together as a cell with Micah. Fridah's complacent acceptance of his secrecy is inconsistent. The end is rushed and compressed and, even as a perhaps cliffhanger, it lacks vision for what may be.
Tara W. No ! I am sooo mad about the ending. I keep checking IMDB and IMDB Pro because this must be a Book 2 Film movie. I can NOT believe that ending. Edan Lepucki is a great writer but I got mad questions for her on this one.
Stacy Liked the story until the last chapter, felt let down at the weak ending, want to say more, but no SPOILER here.
Shery I felt like she just got tired of writing and quit. Hated the ending....what am I talking about, there was no ending. When I read a book like this I end up mad that I invested time in reading it.
Mary Dotson
Gib Wallace So is Micah going to execute his plan to bomb Pines???
Eric E It felt like the ending of 1984, which I'm not sure was intentional. The ending also renders the rest of the book pointless, as they happily embrace the comfort and safety of the Communities without having sacrificed anything. It was never their goal to begin with, so it was an unearned happy ending.
Ollyollyo
Jodell Im so mad at the ending I mean what was it all for the whole story the life they chose if not to have a better life for the baby?
Ali Kerr I hope there is a book 2!
Elizabeth Sackett The story wasn't about that.
Karen Yo @Janice, you need to mark this question as containing spoilers! Hello!
Kiersten I really loved the ending, but I also wonder the same thing. He let the Millers alone for years before killing them. Granted he had a "reason" for that, but whose to say he won't find a reason to kill them? Maybe someone in the Land will question whether they're really dead? Or maybe just as part of his ultimate plan to plant bombs in the Pines...
G. Jason I was a little let down by the way this book ended, but I'm quite convinced that it ended this way to allow for a second or third book in the series. No way is this story over quite yet.
Image for California
by Edan Lepucki (Goodreads Author)