Ryan
Ryan asked:

What age group is this book for?

To answer questions about The Pecan Man, please sign up.
Stella Not everyone will agree, but my parents philosophy with me was "Read anything you want, just READ." I raised my own kids the same way. None of us are any worse for it, and it encouraged all of us to read ahead of our grade level.

I don't think this book is something an 8 year old would even be interested in reading, but from about 11 up, by all means let them read it if they like. Sadly, rape is always a very real possibility and a good awareness of it is part of preventing it. Additionally, the book describes a horrible aftermath, and boys need to be made aware of the kind of pain and trouble that nonconsensual sex can cause. Reading this book at an impressionable age might actually help make them better men.

Bottom line, the takeaway from this book is overwhelmingly positive: it acknowledges the homeless as actual human beings, it discourages racism, and it paints a chilling picture of the aftermath of rape. And there is no explicit description of the rape. Like the narrator, we only find out about it after the fact. Besides all that, it's a perfect opportunity to talk about these things.
LA Cantrell Unless your child is ready to know what rape is, I'd avoid it. I would say 8th grade and up as a recommended age group.
Rachel High school and above
Image for The Pecan Man
by Cassie Dandridge Selleck (Goodreads Author)