Kayt18
Kayt18 asked Dee Bogetti:

I lost my service dog(a yorkie for issues with m/s) in February. I adopted a mix breed from a rescue & am hoping he may be trainable for me. Do you have any tips or hints on simple testing I can do to see if this is even doable? I am very excited about your book.

Dee Bogetti I want to apologize for the delay in responding to your question. I'm new to Goodreads and somehow didn't see it until today.

I am so sorry for your loss. And, yes, there are a few things you can look at in your rescue (congratulations!) to help you determine his suitability for SD work. If you bought a copy of my book, go to page 60 to the section called "Identifying a potential service dog from your local rescue". Even though you already have your dog, much of this applies. Two specific things to look at: 1) Is your dog anxious/fearful about anything (noise phobias like fear of thunderstorms, other dogs, people)? and 2) Have you seen any aggression toward dogs, cats, people? If either of these exist, I suggest finding a local trainer or behaviorist to evaluate your dog. Some issues are fixable, some aren't. Also, if possible, enroll you and your dog in a basic obedience class. This is a great way to see how your dog responds to people and dogs he doesn't know and to get the two of you working well together in public.

Best of luck to you.
Dee