Sasha
Sasha asked:

Is it ok to read this book without having read any previous installments, or would I be completely lost?

To answer questions about Standing in Another Man's Grave, please sign up.
Ron Every Rebus book can be read on its own, it's usually easy to get the feel of things. I started at #6, sprinkled a few more in but then read them all in order.
Carolyn I think if you have not read the Rebus books previously, you will miss out on constant references to previous stories that appear in all of the later works, including the books featuring Malcolm Fox. You have to know who Rebus is before you can realize what a jerk Fox is. I've been reading the Rebus series from the very beginning and there are all kinds of inside jokes. But if you are just starting with Rebus, begin with Let It Bleed, which has one of the greatest opening scenes I've ever read. I recommend them all very highly. I have re-read them all many times.
Louise I don't think you'd be completely lost; each book is based on a different case and Rankin does allude to what Rebus's relationships with previous characters has entailed. I didn't start the series from the beginning, so I think you'll be ok. :)
Image for Standing in Another Man's Grave
by Ian Rankin (Goodreads Author)