Chad Kohalyk
Chad Kohalyk asked:

To answer questions about The Circle, please sign up.
Bas Korpershoek I'd say it was about the beauty of not being connected with the internet; the beauty of being connected with nature. Mae found she could be herself, relax, and enjoy herself while she was at the water; the tear was also absent there. The water passages are written to show the beauty of nature, and I also found my antipathy for Mae disappeared when reading those passages: she became human again.

Maybe that's why the champagne was hidden by the water also; a Romantic symbol that the true beauty is in nature.

Then again, who am I... These are just my observations!
Greenegirl Sea / water / salt water = the beginning of life. This is true in evolutionary theory. It's also true of human birth, coming out of the salt water environment of the womb. The entire story is about the birth of a new era of human existence, and the sea / water symbolism emphasizes that plot point.
Heather I presume it was because people were so involved in their screens that they had not actually witnessed nature first hand and therefore it had to be observed online.
Image for The Circle