Hiran Palothpoyil

I have not read any book by Agatha Christie so far. I'm going to start with this highly rated one. Will these books appeal to me as these are 70-80 years old and we have seen lot of inspired or similar works in movies..?

To answer questions about The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, please sign up.
Wheat/Chaff Look at this way. Good literature survives the test of time; inferior stuff and pure drek comes and goes. Hence, limiting one's reading list to nothing but contemporrary works would be like inheriting a connoisseur's celebrated wine cellar and immediately discarding all bottles of older vintage--thereby consigning the best in class to the dumpster. Imagine never having consumed the greatest short stories of Edgar Allan Poe, de Maupassant, W. Irving, O'Henry, Wharton, Oscar Wilde, O'Connor, Mann, Conrad, Kafka et al. just because these grand treasures in reading are over 70-80 years old! Indeed, with but the limited time we have on this earth, it makes sense to separate the wheat from the chaff, readingwise. Time, as it were, has already done the winnowing. My advice, based on my personal adventure, is to start with recognized classics of the short story and short novel and work your way from there.
Jennifer Oberth I would also say yes, they'll appeal to you. It's not like trying to read Shakespeare where you need a translation for every line. I just finished reading 'Mousetrap' and had no problem following everything and I didn't struggle to do so. I highly recommend Agatha Christie.

And don't watch that 'Doctor Who' episode until you've read 'Murder on the Orient Express' - spoilers.
Penguini_The_Penguin DON'T READ THIS ONE FIRST!!!! This book is meant to be read after you've read a lot of other ones, because it makes the ending... well... i'm not going to spoil anything. ;)
Debbie Alger I thought the same thing, I questioned whether or not I should read books that were published in the 1920s and 30s. So far I have read 2 of her books, including this one and have not been disappointed. Yes, they do take place in another time, but just the fact that her books still sell and are still taken out in libraries are testimony to what a gifted writer Agatha Christie truly was.
Dhananjay Hegde I thought the same before I read books like "Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" and other novels by Arthur Conan Doyle, "Pride and Prejudice" published in first half of the 19th century, "The Fountainhead" published in first half of the 20th century and so on. Never did I feel that they are outdated. They never ceased to surprise me nor did they fail to entertain.

So are Agatha Christie's books.

If you are not looking for something like Sci-Fi Hi-Tech stuffs in the books, then go ahead and read them.

You will enjoy them thoroughly.

As @Wheat/Chaff said, great books stand the test of time.
Sudiptaa Ghosh Yes,the book do have an old time essence to it, but once you start and get along with the flow of the novel, you would be glued to it.
D.L. It is older - and some characters in her books are sexist/xenophobic as per the time (though Christie herself was to travel extensively with her archaeologist husband), but the style is simple and most of the vocab is still used today, so it's not hard to read. What IS wonderful about this book (and it set a standard for other mystery writers, many of whom try to copy Christie's structures and style) is that it is a very difficult mystery to solve and has some great twists. I read it when I was younger and was not able to solve it, but was delighted by the ending. I do NOT recommend the TV version - the series is good, but they did a poor job adapting this story and the ending has no impact in the TV version. If you remember that it is set in the early 20th century, you should enjoy it - and if you like TV, there is a Doctor Who episode called "The Unicorn and the Wasp" that features the famous mystery of Christie's own disappearance and reappearance. I hope you enjoy it!
Bree I read this book as my first Agatha Cristie novel and I loved it. It got me really interested in other books by her. Even now, when I have read a lot more of her books, this is still my all-time favourite. Of course, it may be better to read another so that you know the detective, but personally, I recommend it. If you read another then you may get one of Agatha Cristie's worse ones and it may put you off.
Pamela Bronson I would start with another one. How about The Mysterious Affair at Styles?
Hamidreza you should read it because its completely different with the movie
Celia Definitely, the style is not old, the book is easy to read and you will enjoy it immensely.
Sofia Hernandez Agatha was a genius. Besides the incredible logic and cleverness of her stories, she is a ver y enjoyable writer. Her stories are interesting from beginning to end and hard to put down. The writing is timeless.
Max Mulholland If you enjoy mysteries you will enjoy Agatha Christie. She is the queen of the genre for a reason. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is decent but my favorite is "And Then There Were None" which is down right riveting. Don't miss it.
Kira
Image for The Murder of Roger Ackroyd