Goodreads asked Marta Maranda:

Marta Maranda Actually, initially this wasn't meant to be a book. When I left the clinic in December 2003, I had an overload of tools, processes, and explanations that I needed to make sense of. Many of us turn to comforting activities to help us find answers and gain perspective. Some people bake. Some people fix cars. Some people garden. I write.

I began by writing about my five weeks in the clinic. There were lectures, lessons, and above all, stories from others in the clinic with me that I didn't want to forget. About six months and 100 pages later I took a look at what I had on my computer. What I saw seemed like more than a cathartic process. It was raw, often painful, and not always grammatically correct, but it was a book.