Goodreads asked Mindy Halleck:

Mindy Halleck I feel inspired to writer at the strangest times; My typical times are in coffee shops, or on long walks, but real inspiration,and I mean pull the car over to the side of the road and find my pen comes at times like when I see a funeral; who was that? Who are the people left behind? Was it accidental, or...? Is that woman in black the wife, mistress or other?
Or sitting at a cafe or lounge (especially in Paris) waiting for my husband to join me and a couple at the bar or a table begin to argue. I can write a story then and there, and often do.
Once while in Australia with my friends they wanted to take us to the horse races. I couldn't get into it so took the names of the horses and wrote a short story about them (50 words or so) and then decided who to bet on. My friends thought I was nuts. I was the only winner out of the 4 of us that day. I won on every short-story horse I bet on. My friends don't laugh anymore when I start to write, instead they ask what I'm writing and can they take a peek.
And then the strangest time I get inspiration is in the dentist chair ---laughing gas apparently tickles my creativity bone.