Haajar
Haajar asked:

I still didn't finish the book but is it just me or are the first few chapter really confusing? I don't get what the Breakdown was or what exactly happened in the UK and how the virus started to make the hungries if it's even a virus or whatever it is plz help me to understand the beginning of the book

To answer questions about The Girl with All the Gifts, please sign up.
Heather Ordover I'm glad you expanded your question past "are the first chapters really confusing" because they are and they aren't.

I think they're confusing to you right now because we're mostly sticking with Melanie at the start of the book and she doesn't seem to know much about the world beyond her cell. I promise you, soon the narrative will expand and you'll get the information on the spread of the Breakdown and the Hungries... and that's pretty much the point at which you won't be able to stop reading.

Books that are worth it often start like this—where we (the reader) enter the book with a character (Melanie or 11 year old Harry Potter) who doesn't really know much about the world that they're moving in to (the Cell/School/Base or The Wizarding World) and so we learn the ropes as they do.
It means we're all confused at first, but not for long.
Image for The Girl with All the Gifts
by M.R. Carey (Goodreads Author)