Laia
Laia asked:

One review I saw indicated there’s trans characters touched on in the book. I couldn’t tell if it was just the reviewer’s perspective of trans people transitioning, or if it also reflected the tone & way it was handled in the book. Any trans positive people (i.e. advocate for respectful and non-transphobic treatment of others) able to give me a feel for how trans representation is handled by the author in this?

Natalia There were three trans characters that I remember. One trans man, one gender nonconforming dyke, and one teenage trans girl. Both of the binary trans characters were misgendered and dead named a couple of times. In the sense of... "wait so x is called y now? He.. I mean she.. is doing z." In general the book is comprised of a lot of very vocal political opinions in the day-to-day lives of this primarily lesbian community. The comics depict some of the characters being assholes, who generally are told they're being stupid like with other opinions they give that are judgmental. I think overall... it's a very real depiction of people who don't have all the answers and proper conceptions of trans rights, but aren't hateful. But that's just my perspective as a society-thinks-i'm-cis non-binary femme, so I don't know how you'll feel about it. I do think that the twitter thread the other commenter shared is overly critical, but there are certainly good points made.
Linda
Image for The Essential Dykes to Watch Out For