It's been several years since I read the Abhorsen trilogy and I don't remember too much. Should I do a re-read of them before reading Clariel or will I be fine just diving in?

To answer questions about Clariel, please sign up.
Bonnie You'll be just fine diving in. This could, in a way, work as a stand-alone book, since it still takes the time to explain Charter magic and free magic. There are some plot points that you recognize if you're basically familiar with the Abhorsen trilogy, but it's definitely not needed. It does make you really want to reread the trilogy, though!
Matt Just bought it myself and was having the same question, but, considering its a prequel, you should be pretty well off regardless of how much you remember. Its been awhile since I read the trilogy, but I'm going to go ahead with this before rereading the original three again, though I may be more jaded since I remember most of the story and have probably read them at least 5 times over the years, and am more eager for newness than nostalgia at this point.

I doubt the setting will be all too similar to what we're familiar with. I'd guess this will be set in a time before even Touchstone's time, and the only character I'm guess we'll encounter, other than Chlorr pre-mask, that was in the other books would maybe be Mogget...

But if you want to reread them anyway, go for it, they're probably some of the best fantasy books I was ever recommended.
Image for Clariel
by Garth Nix (Goodreads Author)