Nico
Nico asked:

Completely written in the historic present tense or not? And as a follow up, if I have zero interest in the story, is the narrative ingenuous enough to make it worthwhile?

To answer questions about The Handmaid's Tale, please sign up.
Liam Murray 1. The book is largely written in the historic present, except for the historical notes (which are written in the futuristic past). Also worthy of note: half the story consists of Offred's memories, so it takes a bit to learn when she talks about her present or her past.
2. Whether or not you like the narrative, that depends on how far into the book you read (it will make sense once you've read every single page including the historical notes), and on what books you've read in the past (it helps if you liked "1984" and "The Hunger Games").
J.L. Koszarek A resounding yes, but you must read it all the way to the end. I shared your frustration, but hammered through it and I am glad I did!
vivamarzullo
Image for The Handmaid's Tale
by Margaret Atwood (Goodreads Author)